To request information on the application process, click here.
Chinquapin is a non-profit, college-preparatory private school for economically disadvantaged but academically promising Houston-area students in the 6th through 12th grades. As such, we do not admit students with serious disciplinary problems* or learning disabilities. Boys in grades 7 through 12 live on campus Monday through Friday, and the girls and 6th grade boys are transported daily. We are looking for students who have a positive attitude, a community spirit, and a work ethic conducive to a successful education both at Chinquapin and in college. Chinquapin Preparatory School is not religiously affiliated and is not a military school. College admission is a requirement of graduation.
Qualifications for Admission
- Respect of others and school property.
- Willingness to work hard, take a heavy academic load, do homework every night and weekend.
- Desire to go to a four-year college or university and take all the required courses to get there.
- Score at or above grade level on standardized tests.
- The desire to spend seven years at Chinquapin.
- Good conduct record from previous schools.
About Our Alumni
451 students have graduated from Chinquapin Prep in 38 graduating classes, the first in 1975.
- 95% of our graduates have attended college in the last 29 years (1984-2013)
- 85% of our alumni have graduated from college or are on target to graduate
- 17 are currently in the Armed Forces
Our alumni have attended the following colleges and universities:
Bethany, Bowdoin, Bryn Mawr, Colorado College, Columbia, Drake, Drexel University, Duke, Evergreen State, Georgetown, Harvard, Hendrix, Howard, Knox, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Middlebury, Morehouse, Northland College, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Occidental, Our Lady of the Lake, Pomona, Prairie View A&M, Purdue, Reed, Rice, Sam Houston, Santa Clara, Smith, Southwestern, St. Edward's, St. Mary's, St. Thomas, Stanford, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Southern, Texas Tech, Trinity, University of Houston, University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Dallas , University of Texas at San Antonio, University of Virginia, University of Wisconsin, Villanova
If you have a child with a serious discipline problem, please contact the DePelchin Children's Center (formerly Houston Child Guidance Center) at (713) 730-2335.