How to Apply
- Category: Admissions
- Last Updated on Thursday, 04 October 2012 12:09
Admission to Chinquapin is typically a three-step process: application, testing, interview. Items do not need to be completed in this order. Testing generally last about three hours. Food is provided for a small fee or students can bring snacks with them. Pre-registration is required. In order to register families must call the office (281-426-5551). Registration ends one week prior to the test date OR when registration is filled. There is no fee associated with the application process.
We also highly recommend families come to tour the school. Evening tours are offered once a week. Tours are also offered on test dates and at open houses. Students must complete all steps in order to be considered for admission. We generally do not accept students who have not participated in this process. We do not accept students at mid-year.
- Prospective students are recommended to attend an open house. Click here for dates and locations. At the open house, students and parents:
- Listen to a presentation about Chinquapin
- Fill out an application form
- Tour the campus
- Interact with faculty
- An invitation will be sent to select applicants from the recruiting meetings to attend a one-week summer “try-out” at the school in mid-June at no cost. Although most incoming students have just completed the 5th grade, there are often limited openings in grades 7-12. The best-qualified students from the one-week sessions are selected to attend Chinquapin in the fall.
Students wishing to receive early admission to Chinquapin MUST take an admissions test and be interviewed for entrance. This testing will take place on December 3rd (10-1) on Chinquapin campus 2615 E. Wallisville Rd., Highlands, TX, 77562. Pre-registration is required. Families must contact the front office (281-426-5551) in order to test.
Required documents to come with the student or to be sent by mail:
- Copy of report card from last year
- Copy of current report card from this year
- Completed application
- Two Letters of Recommendation (at least one from a current teacher)
- Most recent TAKS, STAAR scores or other standardized test scores
- A copy of your most recent 1040 tax return (2011 or 2012)
You can download this checklist to help you during the application process.
If a student arrives without the required documents he or she will not be allowed to test for early admission and will have to wait for the regular admission process in February and April.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance within about a month. The specific date will soon be determined.
Accepted applicants must then contact Chinquapin to confirm their enrollment.
Late Admissions Process
For students and families entering the 6th-12th grade in the 2013-14 school year:
While most spaces are typically very limited or unavailable at this point, there may still be open spots for late admission.
If you wish to pursue enrollment in Chinquapin for the 2013-14 school year, please complete every step of the following process and send required materials by mail, fax or in person:
- Fill out and send us a completed application.
- Provide our Admissions Office with a copy of your child’s two most recent report cards
- Provide us with two letters of recommendation
- Include a copy of any of your child's most recent standardized tests
- Provide Chinquapin with a copy of your 2012 IRS form 1040.
When the application is complete, you will get a call from the Chinquapin office informing you if you will be invited to an admission testing opportunity at the Chinquapin campus, located at 2615 E. Wallisville Rd., Highlands, TX 77562. Otherwise we will let you know if the class your child is applying to is full or if your child will need to wait until 2014 to apply again.
If the testing shows academic promise then your child will be invited to an interview. A few days after the interview you will be informed if your child is accepted, wait-listed, or must wait to re-apply the following school year.
Available spaces for additional students: TBD